Friday, November 21, 2008

Scuba Steve's Guppy Gulch- Your First Dive

The sun is shining and warms the body as it peeks through the trees. The air is fresh and far away from city life. You hear the distant sound of birds chirping and the sound of fish jumping in the water. My friend you are at the hidden gem known as Guppy Gulch and you are about to do your first dive. In the background you hear a splash as some of the regulars begin their typical Saturday dive. You sign in with the owner and pick up not only your gear but also a few words of wisdom to carry with you. You assemble your gear and do the safety checks. Your ready to go diving, o wait, I’m not wearing my wetsuit yet, after a little grunting and groaning you are in the wetsuit and feel like a hotdog in its casing, you step up to the edge and look at the water. The instructor gives you last bit of advice and checks your gear. Its time! You enter the water with a splash and get an instant rush…..of cold water into your wetsuit. Your body soon warms that up. You descend below the surface and the outside world melts away. No sound birds chirping or fish jumping it is just you and the water…and roughly 15 other students and instructors. You’re a little nervous as you approach the platform, “Will I remember all my skills?” “Do I have enough air?” You look at you gauge and everything is fine. You follow the rest of the students out on the line and don’t get but 15 feet from the platform before boom the student in front of you kicks up a cloud of silt reducing the visibility to zero. You look back there is an assistant behind you, “I’m ok”. After swimming for a while you wonder, “Alright, where’s the next plat…o there it is.” You finish your skills and go on a tour. You return to reality and you are a scuba diver and can’t wait to go back in…well may be after a cup of coffee.

Word Count 350

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds good and I like the little bit at the end that you've added since I heard it last. I think it's good the way you put in the reader in the story rather than just telling them what happened. Can't wait to see the finished product!

ALI said...

Your story is very realistic, like i could imagine it in my mind and it was quite interesting.