Wednesday, October 29, 2008

For better or worse the educational story

The best educational experiance came in the form of two summer courses I just completed this past semester. Both of the classes were interesting in part because of the instructor's interest. The professors were very attentive to active participation and life experiance of all the students in the class. The additional insite from other students added to the class experiance. In one of the classes we worked with each other so much that we had developed a sense of connection and cohisiveness in the classroom. I felt like the instructors for these courses really wanted the students to retain and apply the material rather than just do well in the class.

The worst experiance was also at UMBC but was due to a personal error rather than a class error. I had completed the majority of a particular course and was doing rather well but because of my work schedule and oversleeping for an exam I failed the course. The class only had four grades and were all exams. I had taken two and over slept on the third because the professor changed the date of the exam and I did not check blackboard where he posted the new date. The date of the exam was after the drop date so I was forced to take the F and retake the course losing all the hard work and money spent on that class.

4 comments:

Farah Shah said...

You are saying right about teacher's interest in the subject they are teaching.It is more then a classroom where you expand your horizons.I am also look forward for these classes. You are fortunate to have them.

Unknown said...

I have also noticed that professors who teach summer courses, often seem more interested in these classes, which makes it much easier to enjoy the classes. Also, that is just terrible luck with the class that you failed because you overslep one class.

timand1 said...

Failing a class is definitely a horrible educaitonal experience. Not only do you have to take the class over but you also lose a lot of money.

Alexander Phillips said...

I've never tried a summer course but after your positive experiences I'm now kind of interested.