As soon as I was old enough to hold a job my parents urged me to start working. I originally thought it was just so that they wouldn’t have to continue to pay for the activities I did on the weekend. Although, I now realize that while that may have had an influence on the original decision, they were trying to instill a sense of pride and hard work that comes with working. My father has always been a very hard working man and I feel as though he wanted me to be the same way. If he isn’t working in his day job he is always working around the house or in other projects, the man never sits down except to watch football on Sunday or to have a cigarette and a cup of coffee. I applied this sense of drive and goal setting to my own working career.
The first job which I took was for Chuck E. Cheese and I was with them for 3 years. In this period I worked my way up the chain of command from game room tech to manager and through all the various positions in between. I set my goal of one day achieving manager and I worked my butt off pulling extra shifts, extra work, and learning everything there was to know about the job. My second job as a security guard was the same story from security guard to sergeant in less than one year. My point is that if you set your goals and work hard to achieve them that you can do anything.
This concept of hard work does not just apply to jobs but also holds true in education. There are always harder courses than others but if one spends enough time studying, I believe that anyone is capable of getting an A or even getting an advanced degree. The problem is that some things are more important to other people than studying. This just means that studying and doing well in that course has other goals which supercede it. I am not saying that one always has to set high goals and that job promotions or educational attainment is a goal that everyone deems important. The important thing is that if you want if bad enough and put enough time and effort into the situation you can achieve whatever you want.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I commend you on all your hard work and success. It is great that your parents instilled in you such a great work ethic. It is something that will take you far in life.
i strongly agree with you. I believe that hardwork will take you places. Everyone as far as i am concerned has a goal, and if you work hard for what you want, you can become and do whatever you want.
Post a Comment